Dragon Kiln Pottery Workshop
- Learn more about this activity’s Enhanced Health & Hygiene Measures
- Unleash your creativity & transform a lump of clay into art at one of the oldest surviving kilns in Singapore
- Learn more about the dying art of traditionally fired ceramics from this 53 year old pottery factory
- Get tips and tricks as you go through the entire process from passionate pottery instructors
- Shop for traditional Peranakan porcelain wares, locally handmade crafts and other decorative merchandise before you leave!
Get ready to unleash your inner artist and get down and dirty at an immersive pottery workshop! A perfect bonding activity for family members and friends, this approximately 2-hour long session will not only challenge you to create pieces of art from mere lumps of clay, but will also introduce you to the traditional process of pottery and firing, right at the oldest surviving brick-built kilns in Singapore. Unlike other kilns powered by gas or electric, Dragon Kiln remains true to its roots, using wood to fire their kilns to produce unique and characteristic pieces. Throughout the workshop, experiences instructors will teach you tips and tricks to expertly coil, pinch, roll, and shape your clay by hand until you're satisfied with your masterpiece. If you're up for a challenge, test your skills at the pottery wheel, a more advanced yet easily learnable technique that doesn't require any prior experience! After some finishing touches, you'll turn over your creation for the next steps - glazing and firing - which requires a 3-4 week wait before you can finally take home your finished product. Experiencing the age-old and almost obsolete tradition of kilning by firewood may be a long process, but it's definitely one that's worth the wait!